Monday, January 24, 2011

Top 10 Books I Wish I'd Read as a Kid


I haven't done a Top Ten Tuesday in FOREVER! I've missed doing them and this week's topic, books I wish I'd read as a kid, was a good place to jump back into things. I read constantly as a child, so I'm not sure I missed out on too much...but hey, you can never read too much.



  1. The Harry Potter series by JK Rowling - Yeah. I didn't read these until the summer of 2009 when I was 18. If I liked this so much in college, imagine what they could have been when I was younger!
  2. The Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis - I've got the whole series on my shelf only because I found the whole hardcover set for 99 cents. They just seem like so much fun.
  3. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
  4. Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls - I know! I've never read this one! What is wrong with me? My favorite Lit teacher tells us constantly how he reads this book on the treadmill at the gym with tears running down his face. Sounds intense to make a grown man still cry!
  5. Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren
  6. Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
  7. Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh - I remember seeing this movie in theatres and still being bothered that I hadn't read the book. The early start to a long lasting pet peeve.
  8. A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket - I always remember these books selling out at the Scholastic book fairs at my school (I wish we still had these!!!!!). I should have gotten into them at the time.
  9. Maniac McGee by Jerry Spinelli - I used to call my childhood best friend Maniac McGee because her last name is McGee...maybe it would have been nice to know what the heck I was calling her! She's still my best friend to this day, but I've matured in my nicknames for her. I call her McGeek.
  10. I don't have a number ten. oopsie.

16 comments:

  1. I haven't read many of the books on your list either but I am so old that many hadn't been published or even written when I was a child. I do recommend that you read the Narnia series ASAP and be sure to start with the book that Lewis wrote first: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe!

    Do you have a new look to your blog? Very nice.

    -Anne
    My Head is Full of Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh don't feel bad, even I had the same problem! I wanted to put The Lightening Thief series on my list, but since it was published in 2005...I wasn't exactly a child!

    I just messed around with the new fonts on Blogger, but thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't read Pippi Longstocking either. Because i loved Karlson the best. Now i wish i've read them both

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have excellent taste in books you never got around to reading! I remember reading Red Fern in third grade...and it was indeed sad at the end. I never realized a book could make me feel that way until I read Red Fern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are so many I only heard of when I was older that I wish I knew of when I was younger... like Narnia, Series of Unfortunate events, Harriet the Spy. I've seen the movies but never read the books...

    Ooooh I forgot about Pippi Longstocking.

    Come say Hi any time

    ReplyDelete
  6. You mentioned a lot of books I also included on my list: Narnia, Lemony Snicket and The Harry Potter series. I feel bad for not reading those classic when I was younger. Here's my list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had a copy of Maniac Magee for almost ten years now. I loved the book when I first read it as a kid. Your post made me realize that it's time to reread it. Also, I've only read the first book in the Chronicles of Narnia series. Too bad I didn't get to read when I was little. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the Harry Potter books and would have loved them as a child, but they came along a decade and a half too late for that. Same goes for the A Series of Unfortunate Events books.

    I would have bawled my eyes out over The Bridge to Terabithia, so I am glad I didn't read it as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Harry Potter was at the very top of my list. Bridge to Terabithia didn't make my cut, but that's another great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still need to read Harry Potter. Also, I totally agree with Anne on reading the Narnia books soon, they are amazing. I read them multiple times when I was little.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I read Harriet the Spy at least 5 times when I was little, a really great book! And I have the Chronicles of Narnia on my list, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. here's mine http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/01/top-ten-tuesday-top-10-best-debut-books.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read a lot of books on your list either - you actually reminded me of a few I could've included!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great list! We share a few of the same titles.

    Tevya @ Reading Lark

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh gosh, Harry Potter WAS my childhood. I love Bridge to Terabithia. I tried to read one of the Chronicles of Narnia books and never could get into it. And I always wanted to read Harriet the Spy too. I think I did try and read some of it as a kid, but I don't believe I read the whole thing.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  16. +JMJ+

    The original Maniac Magee was a pretty cool guy, so at least your friend had a great nickname. ;-)

    That is a great recommendation for Where the Wild Fern Grows, by the way. If he had been my teacher, I'm not sure I would have been able to hold out!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails