Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Top 10 Books That Made Me Cry



I initially was going to sit this one out, thinking, psh, I don't cry. However, looking over my goodread's shelf....yeah right. I'm such a wuss.

Top 10 Books That Make You Cry

*Number 3 is a Harry Potter spoiler, but if you haven't read it, it's your own fault :)*

  1. Escape by Carolyn Jessup - what a great book. This is a memoir of a woman living in a polygamist community. The terror and hardships she had to face at the hands of her husband and his other wives truly made me cry.
  2. Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir - duh, I had to put this one. Sixteen year old girl is manipulated by her elders then eventually killed for it? Yeah, I cried.
  3. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - so sad! The only family in the world Harry has left in the world, besides the lovely Dursleys, is killed by drapery (I swear I've never understood this). I think I cried more during the movie, that was truly a moving scene.
  4. P.S., I Love You by Cecelia Ahern - ughhhh. A woman finds notes left behind by her dead husband, always ending with "P.S., I love you." Though not a genre I usually read, I love this book.
  5. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult - THE ENDING. Good God. This one I won't spoil, but I was seriously blubbering like a baby. I had no idea any book could ever do that to me.
  6. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - when you read a book whose narrator is Death, you better be expecting a lot of death. 
  7. Night by Elie Weisel - this is rather embarrassing as I read this book in my 10th grade English class. I was sitting in class trying to hold tears in. It just so happens that Holocaust books are personally the hardest books for me to read about.
  8. By the Shores of Silver Lake by Laura Ingalls Wilder - OK, I really don't know if this is the exact book I'm looking for, but I think this is the one where the faithful family dog dies. I could be wrong though. Anyways, Jack dies peacefully in his sleep, but come on....I was eight years old.

This is all I can think of! Will try to add more later :)

8 comments:

  1. INNOCENT TRAITOR sounds interesting - I am going to find out more about it! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen The Book Thief of many lists this morning. I'm not familiar with the book... I'll have to check it out! Thanks! You can check out my Top Ten Tuesday here. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never understood Death By Curtain either.. I cried so hard at that one! I totally forgot about P.S. I Love You!! I didn't cry, but I thought it was incredibly sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing that in every list I've seen so far I found at least one book that is as well in my list!!! Wants me to read more of those great books!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never heard of "Innocent Traitor" before. It does sound interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. I Love You is appearing on a lot of lists. Very sad book.

    Here's my list:
    http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2010/11/top-ten-books-that-made-you-cry.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Order of the Phoenix made my list, too. And almost everyone elses! Sirius' death was the first big one and I think it did us all in.

    I've been wondering what was with P.S. I Love You on all the lists, for some reason I assumed it was a romcom, but wow. :(((

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list! I am doing mine now, a day late :) My Sisters Keeper... I cried forever!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails