Monday, September 20, 2010

Harry Potter Re-read - Part 3


Part 3 - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

I think this may be my favorite book in the entire series.

Why? Remus Lupin, who is probably the most awesome person EVER. He's a werewolf, but not one of those kinds that takes their shirt off every five seconds,
like you find in other places...hmph. He may dress like a homeless person, but he's kind, a great teacher, and even has a creepy little mustache in the film.

Anyways, Harry is back for his third year at Hogwarts (even though we have a hilarious encounter with his aunt blowing up in the beginning). This crazy murderer, Sirius Black, is after him and causing havoc all around Harry (big surprise there). It is interesting and suspenseful to see how that interations between Snape, Dumbledore, Harry's parent's, Sirius, and Ron's rat all link together in the end! Speaking of Ron's rat, I love the 'tension' between Scabbers and Crookshanks. Talk about odd foreshadowing. I also love (in an creepy, twisted way) the Dementors.

Something else I noticed is how amazingly long the book is, even though it's one of the shortest books. It almost feels as if it's three books shoved into one: book 1 being Harry's summer and majority of the year at Hogwarts, book 2 as Sirius' pursuit of Harry and the whole Shrieking Shack confrontation/Lupin is a werewolf/Scabbers is really an overweight man in a rat's body debacle, and then book 3 is when Harry and Hermione go back in time to save Buckbeak and Sirius. Whew. I don't know if it's an overkill or a miracle. It feels a bit overwhelming at times.

Let's talk about the movie. The third film got a new director and it had a totally new feel to it. There were little visual things I liked, such as the Whomping Willow showing the changes in the seasons, yet overall I disliked how different the movie was as compared to the previous two. Now to the biggest change of all: Dumbledore. The actor who played Dumbledore in the two other films died and Michael Gambon replaced him. His Dumbledore is much more full of life (truthfully, the other actor put me to sleep sometimes with his amazingly slow speech), yet is very loud and almost aggressive. In the later movies, I'd call him scary, which is definitely not true about him. Which actor did you like better?

This cartoon sums it up perfectly:
Goblet of Fire may not be posted for awhile - I haven't even started it yet and it's about 3 times as big as this one. I also have other books I want to read first. Let's hope I can read the whole series before the movie comes out, fingers crossed!

3 comments:

  1. Hey! I'm re-reading the Harry Potter series as well (the goal is to get them done before Halloween...)!

    I think this is potentially my favorite of the series as well - the first time around with this series, I think this is the book that really hooked me.

    Great review! I'm about halfway through this one - I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say about the rest of the series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favourite book in the series as well! I love Remus, but my biggest love has to be Sirius. But I won't start ranting about him here :)
    For the movie, I loved the transformation in Hermione, the girl gets to wear jeans! And she decides to stand up for herself with Malfoy, which was a really cool scene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved this movie as i thought it had a lot to it and it didnt leave me wanting.

    I have never read this harry potter book
    But i liked the movie and how many different and imaginative things there were in it, i sortof felt a bit...i dont know, that it was too much for me considering id only ever seen the more 'innocent' of the films, this one seemed a bit darker.

    I have to say i really missed the old dumbledore at first.
    I thought he seemed more 'kind grandfather', and that was good enough for me!
    But the new one has grown on me although at times he could be less aggressive!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails