Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Top 10 Favorite Heroines


It's time for my favorite meme: Top Ten Tuesday!
Be aware, my list is composed of mostly historical characters (of course)! I'm also trying out a new layout, so things may look a bit messy.


Top 10 Favorite Heroines



Anne Boleyn in any novel
LOVE HER. She is portrayed in many different ways in different novels, but it's always interesting to see how she will be written out. I believe she was a strong, brave, and falsely accused woman.


Elizabeth I in any novel
Well I have to like Anne Boleyn's daughter, don't I? I've only recently been interested in Elizabeth, but still find her fascinating. I believe her decision to never marry was heroic; she was standing up against her political advisors and people so she could better her country.


Laura Ingalls Wilder in the Little House series
Seriously, she was a badass even as a little girl. I adored reading her stories about her life when I was a little girl, especially since I was tomboy-ish like her. This woman and her family went through so much! It's quite amazing and makes wonderful literature. I would also group her daughter Rose with her.


Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter series
I feel like this doesn't even need any justification. She's just Hermione. She was a bit annoying at times, but truly strong and courageous. Add in the fact that she's smart and loves to read automatically makes her one of my favorite characters!


Elizabeth Bennett in Pride & Prejudice
Here's another obvious one. She's been a literary heroine and favorite for a long time. Lizzy is bookish, smart, witty, and unafraid. Her personality is so different from most of Jane Austen's other characters that it's a nice, refreshing change.

Katherine of Aragon in The Constant Princess
I would normally group Katherine in 'any novel,' since I adore her, but most of the time she's portrayed as a bitter, stubborn, crazy Catholic hag (seriously). In The Constant Princess, she is given a fresh, young visage who was cruelly cast aside and forgotten. While she still is stubborn, all she really is doing is standing up for what she believes in.

Jane Eyre in....Jane Eyre
I don't know what else I can say about Jane Eyre that hasn't already been said. It's been awhile since I've read the book, but I just remember Jane being calm and collected in the face of trouble. She's just cool.


Mattie Gokey in A Northern Light
Another book lover! I was rooting for her to make the decision to go to college--it's especially amazing in a time when it was rare that a women ever did go to college. Mattie is one of my favorite YA characters.


Lady Jane Grey in Innocent Traitor
Ha ha! Another list to put this book in! :) I think I've rambled enough about Jane Grey and why she's awesome (if you haven't heard my gushings over her, check out this review of Innocent Traitor). She was young and wronged, yet, at least in the book, she handled her untimely downfall so eloquently.

4 comments:

  1. How could I have forgotten Jane Eyre?? Your list is great and I know and love a lot of the heroines you mention for the same reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your list. I am a big history fan as I teach history. You should stop by my blog today as I am just ending a whole month dedicated to Laura Ingalls Wilder. I also have two contests giving away a book and swag about Laura and I thought you might be interested. http://www.booksnob-booksnob.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane Eyre made my list too! Also I loved Little House in the Big Woods when I was a kid (Laura was so much more fun than Mary), and Elizabeth Bennett is such a witty heroine! Great choices. I haven't read Innocent Traitor but I do like the character of Jane Grey (I first encountered her in Karleen Bradford's The Nine Days Queen, which I read when I was younger and found very moving) so I will check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura Ingalls Wilder is such a great character! I always wished I lived during her times.

    My list is completely different. Stop in and see what you think!

    I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails