Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Top 10 Favorite Book Characters


This week's list at The Broke and the Bookish is:
Top Ten Favorite Book Characters

  1. The Weasley twins from the Harry Potter series: hands down, my all-time favorites. Fred and George's antics and jokes are hilarious in both the books and the movies. They are the type of people I wish I was friends with in real life.
  2. Death from The Book Thief: talk about a kick-ass narrator. I loved the way death was portrayed, not necessarily evil, but sympathetic sometimes...definitely gives you a lot to think about, even aside from the main storyline.
  3. Sissy from A Tree Grows in Brooklyn: I think if Aunt Sissy was a character in a book set in present day, I wouldn't like her. She'd be somewhat of a slut. Since the book takes place in the early 1900s, she's an oddball; she defies the rules and her attitude is uncommon and refreshing.
  4. Henry VIII in any book: he is portrayed in SO many different ways in different books; it's always interesting to see how the author will write out his personality. Sometimes he's insane, sometimes we sympathize with him. Nevertheless, the same stories never get old.
  5. Jamie Fraser from the Outlander series: a rugged Scottish man from the 18th century? Yes please! He is sweet and lovable to those who are dear to him and a maniac to anyone who dares hurt them. He always reminded me of a huge, 6 foot puppy dog.
  6. Gerry from P.S. I Love You: another sweet (Irish!) guy I wish I could have all to myself. It also helps that he was portrayed by Gerard Butler in the movie :)
  7. Bilbo Baggins from The Hobbit: a sarcastic, chain-smoking, 3 foot tall hobbit with hairy feet! A classic and a favorite for many.
  8. Jane Boleyn in any book: OK, this is another character that's not really a character, as she was a real person, but still. She's kind of evil, but she's so darn interesting!
  9. Trudi Montag from Stones from the River: Trudi is a dwarf girl living in Germany during WWII. Like in The Book Thief, we are offered such a unique perspective of Nazi Germany that it's hard not to like her.
  10. I can only think of nine as of now! If I think of another one, I'll update it :)

7 comments:

  1. OOH! The Weasley Twins! I have so much love for them too! I keep seeing characters I should have added to my honour roll.. And I'm obsessed with England's history, Henry VIII so deserves to be on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love Gerry In P.S. I love you and Gerard in the movie was omg.

    I think the Weasley twins are my favorite from Harry Potter as well. I'm still disappointed they aren't in the movie more than what they are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love Jane and Bilbo! :)

    There's an award for you over at Kate's Library!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Death! What a creative pick! I totally forgot about that. I love Henry's complexity as well. Historians can't really agree on them can they? I like the theory (I think its Loades) that henry basically just wanted to be loved...and obviously had a lot of issues. I put Anne Boleyn on my list. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I almost put Death. I thought about it, and I remember really liking him as a character, but I couldn't remember much about The Book Thief specifically, just emotions.

    If I had an 11 I'd have added Death.

    Great list

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Weasley twins, Sissy, and Bilbo are ones that stick out to me from your list. All such endearing characters that are delightful! All of your other choices are also intriguing and it seems I have some work to do to get to know more about them. Very nice list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having read this I thought it was really informative.

    I appreciate you taking the time and energy to put
    this short article together. I once again find myself spending a significant
    amount of time both reading and commenting. But so what, it was still worth it!


    Have a look at my website; cellulite treatment cream

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails