Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Top Ten All-Time Favorite Books

It's Tuesday!

A meme started by The Broke and the Bookish!

What are your top ten all-time favorite books?

How awful is it to have to choose your ten favorite books? It's like picking your favorite child. Well, if books were children, these would be my favorites:

  1. The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling - I'm sure these will be my favorite books well into adulthood. Nothing beats them. Period. I can't even choose my favorite out of the seven in the series!
  2. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith - Of all people, my dad first recommended this book to me. He was a slacker all through high school, yet he dearly loved this book. The copy that he gave me has been ripped, stained, and fallen into the pool a few time. No lie, I think I've read it at least thirty times.
  3. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkein - Oh, who can't help but love Bilbo Baggins? I adore The Lord of the Rings books, but The Hobbit, its prequel, it a much easier read. It doesn't go into as much detail about the scenery, the history of Middle Earth, Elvish songs, or the hobbit's hairy feet. Peter Jackson needs to get his stuff together and make this into a movie already!
  4. Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir - This is my all-time favorite historical fiction book. Lady Jane Grey fascinates me. She was literally forced onto the English throne in 1553 by her father at the age of sixteen, held the title of Queen for nine days, and was soon after executed by the orders of Mary I (the start of Bloody Mary, hmm?). Jane didn't want any of that, all she wanted to do was read her books. I can relate.
  5. Avalon by Anya Seton - Another amazing book that soothes my inner history nerd. It follows a young woman in 10th century England as she travels with Leif Erickson and his crew to Greenland and back again. It has kings, queens, love, murder, and Vikings!
  6. The Autobiography of Henry VIII by Margaret George - Tackling the complete, personal life of Henry VIII is no easy task, yet Margaret George captured the much misunderstood king wonderfully. At almost a thousand pages, it keeps me happily entertained for a long time.
  7. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte - This is a really long book. It's also very predictable: poor orphan girl ends up with the rich guy. It's perfect. It's a classic.
  8. The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory - The historical inaccuracies make me cringe, but this is the closest to enjoyable chick-lit I'll ever get, and I LOVE IT.
  9. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy - This was one of those books that I felt I needed to read in order to be a well-read, educated person, but I'll admit, I was scared senseless when I pulled Anna off the library shelf. I can't even explain why I love this book...it's certainly not Leo Tolstoy, I almost had an aneurysm when I read War and Peace.
  10. The President's Lady by Irving Stone - One of my favorite love stories! Better yet, it's a true one! Andrew Jackson sounded like a cool guy, but his wife, Rachel, sounded even cooler.

2 comments:

  1. HP made my list too. I've got the Other Boleyn Girl on my shelf waiting for me to find time to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was scared and then blown away by Anna Karenina too. I love that book so much. People get intimidated by it and I want to shake them and yell "JUST TRY IT for Pete's sake! It's awesome!"

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails