Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Top 10 Most Intimidating Books

A meme started over at the Broke and the Bookish!

Ten Most Intimidating Books

  1. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy - It's SO big and SO Russian.
  2. Any book by Ayn Rand - Two words: monstrous books.
  3. Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer - I gotta admit, this looks pretty silly, but when you think about it, a lot of people won't read these books because they think people will make fun of them.
  4. Anything by Shakespeare - Elizabethan English isn't the easiest thing to read, but that fact that almost everyone reads Shakespeare at least once in high school is another reason.
  5. Watership Down by Richard Adams - A big, fat book full of sadistic bunnies! I still can't believe my mom read this to me when I was 7.
  6. Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy - Big, Victorian, and a bit dry in some places. It took me years to get around to this one.
  7. House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski - I haven't read this book, but supposedly, it's really scary. That's enough reason right there.
  8. The Bible - Personal opinion here, but everyone should find the words of God intimidating.
  9. The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett - this is another one of those size issues. Books over 3 inches thick intimidate me usually....good thing this one is well worth it.
  10. The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien - Should be self-explanatory.

4 comments:

  1. Kelly-- I totally was intimidated by the Twilight series before I read them! I get that. And I almost put the Bible down too but I didn't want it to come off rudely or something. I totally agree though. I'm a Christian and I totally find the Bible intimidating..not in a bad way! Just because it is so important!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the Lord of the Rings - almost added that one myself. I didn't read it until I was an adult, and only then because the movies were coming out and I felt like a poor excuse for a geek.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh the Bible should probably be my number one....I think I'm just anxious that I won't understand it.

    I only read the Lord of the Rings because I wanted to watch the movies, but I don't like watching movies first then reading the book...it's a pet peeve of mine. I did the same with Harry Potter. I am a lame geek as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you. Books of a certain size make me nervous too..lol I would rather read two smaller one's.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails