A meme started over at the Broke and the Bookish!
Ten Most Intimidating Books
- War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy - It's SO big and SO Russian.
- Any book by Ayn Rand - Two words: monstrous books.
- Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer - I gotta admit, this looks pretty silly, but when you think about it, a lot of people won't read these books because they think people will make fun of them.
- Anything by Shakespeare - Elizabethan English isn't the easiest thing to read, but that fact that almost everyone reads Shakespeare at least once in high school is another reason.
- Watership Down by Richard Adams - A big, fat book full of sadistic bunnies! I still can't believe my mom read this to me when I was 7.
- Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy - Big, Victorian, and a bit dry in some places. It took me years to get around to this one.
- House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski - I haven't read this book, but supposedly, it's really scary. That's enough reason right there.
- The Bible - Personal opinion here, but everyone should find the words of God intimidating.
- The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett - this is another one of those size issues. Books over 3 inches thick intimidate me usually....good thing this one is well worth it.
- The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien - Should be self-explanatory.