Thursday, July 1, 2010

Preview: "The Captive Queen" by Alison Weir

Title: The Captive Queen
Author: Alison Weir
Published: Hutchison, 2010

My day just got infinitely more sad. I've really been looking forward to Alison Weir's newest fiction novel about Eleanor of Aquitaine, called The Captive Queen. I enjoyed her other fiction books about Elizabeth I and Lady Jane Grey, and am anxious to know more about EoA (forgive me, I abbreviate everything)......but word around the book block is that it's really really really bad. A wall-banger.

Alison Weir also wrote non-fiction about EoA, so she obviously knows the facts. If there is a God in heaven, I pray that she doesn't take the Philippa Gregory route and fluff up history for the sake of a good story. Alison is an excellent historian, I hope this isn't the beginning of the end.

Is it just me, or is the cover really unappealing? I also don't like the trend of headless women on book covers.

Reviews such as this one tell that the books is stuffed full of sex. Bad sex, at that. Eleanor's strong character is downplayed as she is sexed-up. This blog equates EoA to Paris Hilton.
um...

Unfortunately, I think I'm going to pass on this one. If I do read it, Alison Weir may lose her number one rank as my favorite author.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the warning! Weir is my favorite also, and I would hate for that to be ruined. I do like her non-fiction better than her fiction though. Maybe people don't like it because she actually sticks to history? Some people like the Gregory route better...hmmm.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails