Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Harry Potter reread 2010

So..I don't know if you've heard, but there's this pretty awesome movie coming out on November 19th of this year. It's called Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I.

Heard of it? Yeah, I thought so. Anyways, I am extremely excited (even the poster gives me shivers!) and in the spirit of things, I have decided to start my Harry Potter reread. I'm thinking I'm going to make this an annual thing; the Harry Potter series once a year until I die sounds like a pretty good deal to me!

I've also decided that as I go through the series once again, I will blog my thoughts and revelations. Please feel free to join in either with the reread or just post your own thoughts! I'm always up for discussing Harry Potter with friends. Hopefully I will learn new things along the way!



So, to kick things off, I started the first book, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone last night.
It almost makes me giggle how tiny this book is! My version is around 380 pages......a mere baby compared to The Order of the Phoenix at 900 pages. I'm on page 147; Harry is just about to get sorted into his house. There hasn't been much action yet, just a sniffy Hermione and the start of many descriptions of how green Harry's eyes are.
In my opinion, the Dursleys don't get enough screen time in the film! Mr. Dursley's antics to keep Harry out of Hogwarts are hilarious in the book. Also, I'm going to try and restrain myself from comparing the books and the movies, but I do like how The Sorcerer's Stone movie takes lines word for word out of the book. It's much more accurate than the latter movies.
More thoughts later!

I'm also trying to decide on a name for this challenge....Harry Thoughts isn't a really good title.

8 comments:

  1. A Harry Potter re-read sounds like a great idea! Hmm...I am very tempted to join in with you. I can't wait for this movie because Deathly Hallows is my favorite of the series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha funny story there, some kids from my hometown used to have parties where all anyone did was get high, and they called it PotterPalooza. No lie. Not sure if I want to go along with that, lol thanks though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just hosted a readalong called Summer at Hogwarts. It's over tomorrow but you might be interested in some of my questions and such
    http://always-books.blogspot.com/search/label/Summer%20at%20Hogwarts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like everyone else on the planet, I'm a HUGE Harry Potter fan! I think this is a fabulous idea! The first book is pretty tiny, isn't it? Lol. I wonder if JK Rowling knew all along they were just going to get bigger and bigger? I TOTALLY agree about the first film (and the second) - I think Chris Columbus is the only director who got it right. I'm a purist all the way - stay true to your source material! Though, I will admit I'm rather fond of the 3rd film as well. I'm not sure why. Maybe just because Alfonso Cuaron is a genius and really captured the tone and essence, even if he did stray from the book. Everything fell apart around book 4 though. Sigh.

    I found your blog via the Book Blogger Hop, and I'm glad I did! I look forward to following your Potter posts!

    Casey
    The Bookish Type

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found your blog through the blog hop and of course I noticed this post because I'm a huge Harry Potter fan as well. That's actually what got me into reading to begin with! Your idea of re-reading Harry Potter once a year is brilliant! It would be only right, of course, in my case to pay tribute to the books that started my reading obsession, lol.

    This is the first I've seen of the movie poster and it looks amazing. Every time I watch the trailer I get chills. I cannot wait for this movie.

    Lisa
    Pages of my Life

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree BookishType! Chris Columbus' two films are the BEST! I too liked the third one too for the same reasons you say, it just had a nice vibe. I watched the 6th one last night and it's just not the same...

    forgottenxautumn, isn't the poster awesome? I'm not sure I've ever been this excited for a movie to come out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and thanks for that link Letter4no1 !

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails