Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Top 10 Favorite Childhood Books

(and yes, I know this is a day late.)

What are your top ten
favorite childhood books?

  1. The Babysitter’s Club series by Ann M. Martin – hands down, this is my favorite. I got my first BSC book in second grade (I won it in a math contest…speaking of, Stacy McGill was probably the coolest thing ever) and my love affair lasted well into 8th grade. I think once I was older than the girls I was reading about, I became too cool for the series. I, of course, attempted to start my own club, but failed, probably due to only having one member….me.
  2. The Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder - I think I love this series so much because I read them with my mom. I also read the accompanying series about Laura’s daughter, Rose, and her mother, Caroline. I think it’s safe to say that these books sparked my interest in history. If I didn’t read historical books today, what would I read?!
  3. Socks by Beverly Cleary – I read tons and tons of Beverly Cleary books growing up, but this one sticks out most in my mind. At the time, I had a cat that looked just like Socks who had the same problem of dealing with a baby in the house (me!). I’ll admit, I still pull this one off my shelf and read it some afternoons.
  4. Wayside School is Falling Down by Louis Sachar – Definitely a very weird series BUT SO FREAKIN ENTERTAINING. The characters and situations still stick out in my mind. I reread them recently and some of the puns and jokes Louis Sachar came up with are really witty! I don’t think I got them the first time around.
  5. Santa Paws by Nicolas Edwards – A dog who saves the town? A bitchy cat side-kick? A dorky family? Yes please!
  6. Nothing’s Fair in Fifth Grade by Barthe DeClements – These classrooms just seemed so much cooler and dramatic than mine. I was kind of jealous. I loved Sixth Grade Can Really Kill You as well.
  7. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson - My first exposure to Treasure Island was the Muppet Treasure Island movie (I was in love with Jim Hawkins). A few years later, my family and I went to Las Vegas and stayed in the Treasure Island hotel. My dad told me there was a book by the same name, which I immediately wanted to read. I fell in love (again) with it and wore the poor book out.
  8. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain – I think this is a no-brainer. I read this book tons of times. Every time I go to Magic Kingdom, I insist on taking the raft to Tom Sawyer Island just to run across the barrel bridge.
  9. Help! I’m Trapped in Obedience School by Todd Strasser – A book about a boy that switches bodies with his dog (and later sister, teacher, the President, etc) was perfect for my geeky 10-year-old self. Picturing a boy running around like a dog slobbering everywhere made this one of my favorites.
  10. Superfudge by Judy Blume – Another series I devoured. Not sure why I really liked it though, I thought Fudge was really gross. Maybe as an only child I was jealous that I didn’t have a younger brother named Farley Drexel Hatcher and a sister named Tootsie.
How about an honorable mention for the Animorphs? Their covers were the bomb.


I am now off to rumage in the attic to find half of these books for a re-read!

3 comments:

  1. hahaha, i remember so many random books from my childhood but i barely ever remember the names.
    I know i loved reading Enid Blyton. I used to think they were so snobby, but i still loved the adventures. I remember my first book i ever read all the way through ( i was about 8), up until then nothing had captured my attention. It was called The Bus Under the Leaves. Aw...
    After that i read loads of point horror books.
    I remember reading so much but hardly any of the Titles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read every single on of those Animorphs books hahaha:) I even watched the (short-lived) tv show.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails