Monday, June 28, 2010

"Confessions of a Shopaholic" by Sophie Kinsella

Title: Confessions of a Shopaholic
Author: Sophie Kinsella
Published: Dial Press Trade Paperback, 2008 (originally 2001)
Where I Got It: Goodwill, duh
Why I Read It: I spent 99 whole cents on it, I had to read it

OK. This genre (as I call it, Chick-Lit Fluff) is not my favorite. I only gave it a chance because it takes place in London and I am a total Anglophile.

Ahem. I'm pretty sure I wanted to kill Rebecca Bloomwood by the second chapter. It was an interesting story, but my God, she is so vapid and annoying. If I ever met her in person, I'd punch her in the face.

Her shopping problem was hilarious and frustrating at the same time. I kept wanting to scream "YOU HAVE A PROBLEM. GET HELP, YOU FREAK!" Still, I'm only guessing that she spent a lot of money, all the pounds, quids, and pences confused the hell out of me. Sounds like Harry Potter money.

Alright, alright, I sound like a bitter old lady. This was an semi-enjoyable read, it kept me engaged and interested long enough, but not interested enough to make me want to read the followup books.

3 stars.

Notice how these reviews are getting shorter and shorter? I promise this isn't normal.

4 comments:

  1. lol. I read romance novels like they are my life source, but I really can't read modern chick lit. I have so much less patients with the heroines.

    The one exception is Bridget Jones' Diary which if you have not read I recommend to you! Quite hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These books are not likely to be my type of a read, but nice to see the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to check it out! I don't think I've ever seen the movie either.

    Haha, thanks, I usually don't review chick-lit books anyways :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooohhh im usually the one for chick lit fluff! Thats usually all i can handle in my life at times (yes, i have it hard to handle ...woe me !!!!lol) But i read this when i was about 19 and then i read the second and then the third...and the whole while i was like...SHE IS SO FREAKIN ANNOYING!!!
    I actually even went to see the film they made out of this, PURELY because i had read the book at a pivotal point in my life and i thought it would be nice...the film was AWFUL too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails